An important test for those working with asbestos, personal air samples are taken using wearable air samplers with the head of the sample located on the shoulder in the operatives’ breathing zone.
These tests are used to check a number of criteria (HSG248):
- Establish that the Control Limit is not liable to be exceeded
- Check the effectiveness of control measure to ensure exposure is reduced to as low as is reasonably practicable for workers
- Select or confirm that the RPE in use is capable of providing the appropriate degree of protection
- Ascertain whether the exposure is sporadic and low intensity and the short term limit has not been exceeded
- Provide medical surveillance records
- Support current and future risk assessments
Franks Portlock can support you whatever the requirement and will provide a written report collating important observations about the work area and opinions on the effectiveness of control methods. An on-site result is normally provided using PCM (Phase Contrast Microscopy) but SEM (Scanning Electron Microscopy) can also be employed to enable fibre discrimination and great levels of detection in dusty environments where required.
If you’d like to discuss any of our air testing services, including reassurance air testing, please contact us using the form below or call 0191 419 3116 to speak to one of our experts.